During pregnancy, the woman undergoes so many physical, psychological and hormonal changes, which mainly include extra weight gain. Weight gain in pregnancy is healthy and natural, but craving to return to their pre-pregnancy bodies is obvious. If you are breastfeeding your child, then first 3-4 months, when your child is fully dependent on your milk, you have to eat food highly rich in iron, protein and calcium .problem of hormonal imbalance. But one of the major causes of obesity in people is their unhealthy eating habits and adequate exercise.
- Add a variety of Fruits and Vegetables in your diet plan.
- Drink at least three glasses of Milk.
- Plenty of Water 10-15 glasses per day.
- If you are nonvegetarian, add Chicken and Fish in your diet.
- Make sure that you eat food from all food groups, Vegetable group, Milk group( Milk, Cheese, Yogurt, etc), Fruit Group, Meat Group( Chicken, Fish, etc) and Grain Group( Rice, Oats, Idli, Dosa, Upma, any dish made of Grains).
- Eat regularly and Sleep as much as you can whenever the baby allows and keep a good frame of mind.
- Exercise in moderation to help the metabolism to function optimally. Now after 3-4 months of delivering your child, you need to be slow and steady in losing weight. Healthy diet and exercising is the best way to lose your pregnancy weight. Along with weight loss, focus on Nutrition is a must.
- Focus on Fruits, Vegetables, Whole Grains and Lean sources of Protein. Foods high in fiber – such as Fruits, Vegetables and Whole Grains – provide you with many important nutrients while helping you feel full longer. Other nutrient-rich choices include low-fat dairy products, such as Skim Milk, Yogurt and low-fat Cheeses. Skinless Poultry, Most Fish, Beans,
- Eat smaller and frequent meals. Try to eat several small meals a day instead of eating stomach full.
- Eat when you feel you are hungry.
- It is good to have dinner till 7-8 pm, but if you can’t then have it as early as you can.
- Include Soybean and Banana in your diet. Avoid fatty food but as you will be the nursing mother you must intake all kinds of nutrients.
The post-pregnancy diet contains lots of protein for lunch and dinner and complex carbs (carbohydrates) for breakfast. For weight loss after pregnancy, it’s not good to take high carbs in the night because usually at this time of the day people become less active and they can’t spend the energy that carbohydrates give. It is not good to start a drastic diet after pregnancy, if you know your body type like Vata, Pitta, Kapha.., then it becomes easier to make healthy food choices required by your body.